... now with 35% more arrogance!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Licensing

Something reminded me that I had made some passing comments about licenses, and I wanted to expand on this, because I sort of have a question.

First, let me say that I don't really like the OGL, mainly because I don't like reading small-print clarifications of product identity. I really don't want to have to bother writing my own Section 15, so I dislike the idea of using the OGL.

What I'd prefer is using the Creative Commons license. I want people to use but not copy or resell my setting material (so-called Product Identity). I'm happy to let people use basic rules, commercially or otherwise, with attribution. My intention is to create rules summaries released under a CC Attribution license alongside longer versions (detailed examples and implementations) released under some form of CC Non-Commercial license. Any commercial products I produce will probably include appendices with CC license material.

Now, what I'm wondering is exactly how much linking or reference to standard D&D concepts I can get away with. I think I'm mostly just using the names of things that have been in common RPG usage, but occasionally I say things like "you can use the standard list of magic-user spells from any edition of D&D or an appropriate replacement list." If I merely refer someone to another product that's released under the OGL, like Swords & Wizardry or Labyrinth Lord, can I skip quoting the OGL?

Any thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment