... now with 35% more arrogance!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quickie Dice Tool v. 2.2

I've updated the Quickie Dice Tool. Mostly, this adds the version number to the sheet, to make it easier for people to tell whether they have the most up-to-date version or not. There is also a set up index numbers from 7 to 12 below the charts in the middle. This is so that you can opt to roll a d12 and use any of the 12 columns to interpret either the top edge or left edge numeric scales, for a really wide variety of results using only one die.

The right edge has a new scale, located just above the ability score name. This is the four core classes, plus Peasant and Noble, for when you need a simpler random NPC result. You can also use this to mean "an action that a person of this class would typically do" or "a place where a person of this class would typically be found." When used this way, "Peasant" can indicate any basic bodily need or action, or a place where such a need could be fulfilled, like a tavern, inn, or outhouse. "Noble" can indicate parties, festivals, or social events.

Also, there was a weird problem with the shading not showing up in previous versions I uploaded to Google Docs. It looks like the problem is fixed in this upload, but let me know.

For those new to the blog: print out the sheet, drop a die on it, and look for which row and column the die lands in, in addition to the result on the die itself. For some of the many, many uses of this technique, check out the "quickie" label on this blog.

4 comments:

  1. Talysman, I love this map! Thanks for sharing! Any chance you might have a vector version I could print? I'd like to scale it at 15cm x 20cm for my Vornheim box... I can get *close* by scaling the PDF, but there are still gaps on the long edges... Let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "raw" version was done in InDesign. I'm not sure if there's a way to export a vector version, but I'll look into it.

      Delete
    2. It turns out this version of InDesign *does* support SVG export, but random elements seem to be clipped or repositioned In fact, opening the same file in Inkscape and Chrome results in different renderings, with different letters/words clipped or repositioned in each viewer. I'm not sure what's going on there, so I'll have to investigate.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your efforts. I appreciate your willingness to try. :)

    ReplyDelete