Unfortunately, I'm distracted by some other issues (fortunately, they're related to RPGs.) So I can't really go into my thoughts in detail right now. Instead, I'll just leave everyone with some questions:
- How much detail do you think is needed to make a game an RPG?
- Can a game be designed to appeal to both the family gamer and the hardcore gamer?
- Do typical RPGs fetishize combat and fantasy elements too much to appeal to family or casual gamers?
- Do they fetishize math too much?
- Are they too self-referential?