... now with 35% more arrogance!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sybad the Barbarian

I wanted to talk more about that little technique to create names I buried in the bottom of one of the Last-Minute Hexcrawl posts, but I don't feel up to a long-ish post right now. So instead, I'll just demonstrate one little trick for creating barbarian names. I may have talked about something similar before, but here goes: Roll 3d20 and 1d6 together and read left to right, using the d6 as a vowel. The table, again, so you don't have to dig through that other post:
d6   Voweld20   Letterd20   Letter
1A1B11C
2E2D12W
3I3T13J
4O4F14Q
5U5L15V
6Y6S16X
7M17P
8H18K
9N19G
10R20Z


If two consonants land next to each other and don't seem pronounceable, insert a vowel, either (a) a duplicate of the d6 vowel, or (b) an A or an O, perhaps using the odd/even status of the first consonant as a guide. If the last two letters are the same consonant, just drop the doubled consonant. The result? A pretty decent barbarian name. Anafac. Lagit. Jawgu. Not always great, but good enough for government work.

No comments:

Post a Comment