... now with 35% more arrogance!

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Old School Player Manifesto

In response to someone’s request for an old school player manifesto, instead of a GM manifesto, I wrote this very verbose one:

  1. You shouldn’t have to know the rules.
  2. You are not your character sheet.
  3. You’re an adventurer. Adventure!
  4. If you want to try something, try it!

I consider it verbose because #2 is a special case of #1, and #3 overlaps with #4. But I’m trying to think if there’s anything else that I would add to it. I could certainly elaborate each of those points in a separate essay, perhaps multiple essays. But as for what a player needs to be told before playing in an old school game, that seems to be it.

Creative Commons license

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0
International

(CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license.

8 comments:

  1. 5. Listen to the referee, but don't argue with them.

    Some people need this pointed out, I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems more like generic advice for playing games than something old school specific or even rpg specific. As is "Don't be a jerk."

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I don't entirely agree, but that's something I should cover in a future post. Must think on it more.

      Delete
  3. I thought I would ask if you recalled the OSR RPG Planet that Alex Schroeder ran? With the gpocalypse, he has graciously resurrected it as an opt in. I thought I would let you know about it in case you wanted to be a part of it. I'd love to see you there. Here is Alex's post talking about it:

    https://alexschroeder.ch/wiki/2018-10-22_Indie_or_not%3f

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was going to consider this later, after I've gotten back into regular posting, but since you're pretty keen on me joining, maybe I'll drop Alex a line. He's a friend of the blog, anyways!

      Delete