... now with 35% more arrogance!

Monday, March 1, 2021

Latest PC News

So, the (third) new computer arrived Tuesday as expected and seems to be doing fine. There are only three issues:

Bluetooth Disconnects
Periodically, all the Bluetooth devices will disconnect at the same time. That’s only one keyboard and one mouse, but that’s also “almost all my input devices” (I have a USB drawing tablet I can use in an emergency.)
After 30 to 60 seconds, the devices will reconnect. This doesn’t seem to be a device problem, because (1) It’s simultaneous, as if Bluetooth itself stopped working, and (2) The same devices work with another computer that’s farther away.
Updating drivers didn’t eliminate the problem, but things seem to be better: I did have the problem after the update, but yesterday and today were problem free.

No Stereo Sound
Neither the front headphone jack nor the rear speaker jack seem to produce stereo sound, only mono (left ear.) Shifting the stereo balance proves that both channels are being sent to the left side. This might not be a hardware problem, though, because I’ve found lots of reports from people who experienced the issue on other computer models after a Windows Update. Plus, I think I had the same problem with just the headset on the old computer.

Strange Smell
I swear there’s a burning plastic smell. However, I think I smelled it before the computer arrived and can’t track the source. I have no idea if this is even relevant.


Other than that, everything seems to be fine. Computer boots super fast, Chrome browser opens quick. I have most of the software I need installed. Think I’ll order USB headphones and Bluetooth speakers to test some of the issue.

2 comments:

  1. Progress!! Although I would likely be frustrated at having those on-going minor issues after all those previous hassles. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least the new USB headphones are definitely working. Haven't tested the Bluetooth speakers yet, but at least one problem is ... not exactly "solved", but sidestepped, at least.

      Delete