The dead and other spirits (like Angry Spirits) are related to the incorporeal undead but there's a distinction: true spirits tend to be invisible and completely non-material, while spectres and their kin are often quite visible and retain a pseudo-materiality, especially in their weaker forms, shedding their materiality as they grow more powerful. I imagine them to be sort of thick masses, something like a cross between a mass of fog and a clump of spider webs floating through the air in a humanoid shape (the technical name for this being "ectoplasm".) This is the result of their being drained by other undead; a wraith or spectre's attack should drain substance as well as life. causing victims to feel a little weightless as they approach death.
Because they are partially substantial in their weaker stages, they are still vulnerable to physical attacks, but they become invulnerable a little quicker than the corporeal and skeletal ranks of the undead. All are nearly silent (+1 to surprise.)
I've changed the ghost a bit to fit the spectral progression and to eliminate some AD&D-isms, so I'll probably doing a separate post on them. The new low ranks (phantasm, shade, phantom) all have names that have been used before, but for quite different monsters.
- Vulnerability to Sunlight
- Starts at the 1 HD (Phantasm) level as a morale effect (-1 on all attack rolls, Move reduced to 3; GM-controlled undead flee if morale breaks.)
- Ghosts (10 HD) can't materialize to attack in daylight
- Fearful Grip/Gaze
- Starts at the 1 HD (Phantasm) level as a slowing touch (Move is halved, strike last every round; Elves and Heroes are immune, and they can break the grip of fear by shaking or slapping a victim.)
- At 2 HD, creatures of less than 4 dice are paralyzed when touched.
- At 10 HD +, their gaze causes minor aging.
- Immunity to Mundane Weapons
- Starts at the 1 HD (Phantasm) level as an immunity to normal missiles; both magical and silver arrows will still do standard damage, as will ordinary melee weapons.
- At 4 HD, silver arrows do half damage
- At 5 HD, can only be struck by magical weapons
- At 10 HD +, can only be struck by magic weapons when they have materialized; otherwise, they can only be attacked by ethereal opponents.
- Level Drain
- Starts at the 3 HD (Phantom) level as 1 level drained per hit.
- At 5 HD +, drains 2 levels per hit.
- At 7 HD +, touch has additional effect (see variant Angry Spirits for possible attacks)
- At 10 HD +, level drain is replaced with aging.
|HD||Undead Rank||Cumulative Features|
|1||Phantasm||fears the sun (-1 attack, Move 3), touch slows victims, gust of wind slows and does 1 point damage, no damage from normal missles (unless silver)|
|2||Shade||paralyze victims with fear (elves or heroes counteract)|
|3||Phantom||drain 1 level/hit|
|4||Wraith||half damage from silver arrows, no damage from gusts of wind|
|5-6||Spectre||drain 2 levels/hit, hit only by magic weapons|
|7-9||Spectral Lord||attack has additional special effect|
|10+||Ghost||aging gaze/touch, can't be physically attacked unless materialized|