Because of this, I'd rather have mummies separate from other corporeal undead. Unlike M&T, I'm going to use both Kharis and Imhotep as my guidelines (and maybe a little Mumm-Ra.) Kharis himself changes in the movies, starting first as an automaton that must obey the will of the priests of the Egyptian gods, but then "waking up" when he sees the reincarnation of his true love. That suggests at least three different level of mummy, with Imhotep at the top. My overall concept is that mummies are as frightening in appearance as skeletons, become immune to mundane weapons sooner, but have a weakness to fire and are slower to increase in other powers. The central feature of mummified undead is their bandages becoming drier, more flammable, and more infected as they age.
Interesting names were in kind of short supply, so I re-used one AD&D name, the revenant, although I didn't re-use the stats or concept.
- Vulnerability to Sunlight
- Starts at the 1 HD (Bound Corpse) level as a morale effect (-1 on all attack rolls, Move reduced to 3; GM-controlled undead flee if morale breaks.)
- Reduced at the 10 HD + level.
- Vulnerability to Fire
- No guaranteed extra damage to start, but bandages catch fire if damage roll is 5+ (1 point of damage per round after being struck, for the rest of the combat.)
- Continues to be vulnerable to mundane fire throughout progression
- At the 7 HD level, takes double damage from fire, plus can still catch fire
- Fearful Appearance
- Starts at the 1 HD level as a morale check for NPCs (flee in panic if morale breaks)
- At 4 HD, causes fear in PCs of 4 HD or less who fail a save (-1 on all attack rolls, Move reduced to 3 unless fleeing.)
- At 7 HD, causes panic in PCs of 4 HD or less who fail a save (player's choice: flee or be paralyzed.)
- Immunity to Mundane Weapons
- Starts at the 2 HD (Niche Lurker) level as an immunity to normal missiles; both magical and silver arrows will still do standard damage, as will ordinary melee weapons.
- At 4 HD, only magic weapons are effective
- At 5 HD, magic weapons do half damage
- Mummy Rot
- Starts at the 3 HD level as a cloud of dust when it strikes for 5+ damage (save vs. poison or stunned 1d6 rounds by choking.)
- At 5 HD, wounds caused by mummies take ten times longer to heal
|HD||Undead Rank||Cumulative Features|
|1||Bound Corpse||fears the sun (-1 attack, Move 3), catches fire easily, frightens NPCs|
|2||Niche Lurker||immune to normal missiles|
|3||Moldering Lurker||choking rot|
|4||Tomb Stalker||cause fear, immune to mundane/silver weapons|
|5-6||Mummy||rotting disease, half damage from magic weapons|
|7-9||Mummy Lord||cause panic, embalm victims, double damage from fire|
|10+||Revenant||vulnerable to fire/sun only when bandaged, regenerates|