... now with 35% more arrogance!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Whither Map Monday?

You may have noticed I didn't do any map (geomorph, dungeon, or town) this Monday. I did re-work the Necrotoad map a bit, including renaming the Necrotoads to Necromatoads, since I noticed someone using the handle "necrotoad" on some forums. However, I have nothing ready. Partly because I'm working on a project for someone else, and partly because I'm re-thinking what I'm going to do for Map Mondays, and how I'm going to go about it.

Things I would like to do:
  1. a bundle of hamlet and village maps, with keys,
  2. an all-trap one-page dungeon, à la Tomb of Horrors,
  3. a set of megadungeon modules.
But what I'm thinking is that the megadungeon modules are best implemented closer to the way geomorphs are done. You'd have a single page for each module which would include a geomorph-scale map of one special room or group of rooms, with key and information on room types and occupants in that general area, but no set map for those rooms. GMs could fill in the rooms any number of ways:
  • use standard geomorphs in a tic-tac-toe pattern, with the special geomorph in one of the nine positions;
  • map around the special geomorph using either the standard dice-based random dungeon tables or pure inspiration;
  • use one of a set of unkeyed maps with a blank geomorph-sized square indicating placement for the special geomorph.
I'm not sure which of these tasks I'll get to first.

No comments:

Post a Comment