|d6||Source of Power||on Doubles||on Triples|
|1||Astrology||Limited Time||Planetary Rays|
|2||Words of Power||Chanting||Long Song|
|4||Occult Forces||Rare Reagent||Magical Reagent|
|5||Psychic Powers||Meditation||Trance State|
Purpose: Randomly determining what a magic system requires a spell caster to do in order to prep a spell, as opposed to actually casting it. Not necessarily for your main form of spell casting, which most GMs or groups would probably want to discuss rather than randomize… But if a GM needed a topic for a random obscure magical tome, or if a strange new adventuring area needs a custom form of magic to make it feel distinct, this table could help with that.
Concept: The table sorts the potential sources of magical power into six categories: astrological forces, occult forces, words of power, invocation of divine power, binding of lesser spirits, and innate psychic power. Each source of power can also have different degrees of effort required:
- The second column is in general just “fluff”, but may have potential minor effects (pissing off a god might cause a penalty if magic requires invocation, for example.)
- The third column either takes longer or requires more resources.
- The fourth column is even more extreme.
- three different required sources of power, or
- two sources, one of which is more limiting than the other, or
- one very limiting source.
I’m still thinking over the process. I might ditch the third degree of difficulty. I might think of another source of power. Each of the power sources probably deserves more explanation in another post.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
(CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license.