- Fighter: use ANY weapon or combat technique
- Magic-User: make or use ANY magic item
- Charmer: use persuasion to reroll reaction in ANY situation
- Cleric: sense or communicate with ANY spirit
- Trickster: use ANY distraction to reroll surprise
- Gifted: sense ANY supernatural force
Within that conceptual framework, I've come up with a variant Trickster: the Tinkerer.
- Tinkerer: solves problems with mechanical ingenuity
- figure out or use ANY machine
- add HD (or level) bonus when using machines
They have a slight overlap with Tricksters in terms of traps. Either can use their bonus as a bonus to a save to avoid a trap and as a bonus to the task of disabling a trap. Either can assemble prepared components into a trap. The Tinkerer, however, can prepare those components without special training, while the Trickster can merely re-assemble parts of a trap. Neither would be able to manufacturer poisons to use in the trap without the appropriate background/training.
I like this system--simple and elegant.ReplyDelete
Thanks! That's my design goal. Plus, since there are only two abilities and they take very specific forms, if a class seems unbalanced, a GM can fix it by looking at the way the ability is worded.ReplyDelete