... now with 35% more arrogance!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Canonical Dice Set for Hexcrawl

One of the reasons I raised the question of what the canonical dice set would be was because I'm worried about the dice pools I call for when following the Last-Minute Hexcrawl procedure. For example, the first step calls for rolling 3d8. But do *I* have 3d8? Maybe. I'm only certain of having 2d8. Not everyone needs lots of extra d8s or d12s, so I think restricting the dice rolled to the dice people are probably going to have is a good idea.

This will require a rewrite of some steps, but I already have some other changes I'm planning to make. For example, I'm thinking a flat two or three terrain types per map is all that is necessary, as opposed to the 2d4 terrain types on the kingdom map. And I think being consistent with certain types of rolls is good. I used d8 for compass directions on the first two steps, but the d12 clock directions look more promising, especially since in a pinch a d6 result, doubled, could replace the d12.

So this is just a note to mention that I will be doing a second draft of the Last-Minute Hexcrawl, once I've finished this first draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment